Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Billy Goat's Trail

On Saturday, Chris and I hiked the Billy Goat's Trail on the MD side of the Potomac. Growing up in Great Falls, I spent plenty of time on the VA side of the river and often hiked down through neighborhoods and the woods to the Potomac with my dad. I loved and still LOVE playing on the rocks.

Who knew the MD side was much more adventurous? I had no idea. The Billy Goat's trail is not for everyone, but it's fun. It's predominantly a hike scurrying across the boulders that enclose the river, a look down below may deter those afraid of heights. And towards marker 2, there's a HUGE boulder to scale, luckily it's above flat water and not rapids.

Saturday was a lovely day to be outdoors, the hike took us about 2 hours and was definitely a great little workout. Highly recommended. Also, the canal that runs along the park is beautiful. Anyone game for biking it sometime soon?

I gotta find some sort of exercise since I'm not running these days.

1 comment:

JRay said...

Speaking of trails, Christie and I rode our bikes from Georgetown to Bethesda in a little more than an hour on the Capital Crescent Trail. It spits you out right in the middle of town and would be great for grabbing lunch or a little shopping before heading back. About 7.5 miles each way and flat for the most part.

BTW, you guys need to let us know when you are hiking again...we'd like to join.