Thursday, April 17, 2008

Capital Crescent Trail WIPEOUT

Since the weather has been so beautiful lately, I've been taking out my bike for rides on the W&OD. Well, last night after work me, Dean & Deena decided to go for a little ride. We ended up on the Capital Crescent Trail past Hunter Mill. Now, let me preface this by saying I am a novice mountain biker (I dont bike much to begin with, although I'd like to), so I said to Dean, "Are you sure Deena and I can handle this trail?" And he said, "Yea, of course, no problem."

So we take off down the dirt path into the woods following Dean. AWESOME trail through meadows and deep woods, we saw probably over 30 deer and a handful of other mtn bikers along the path. Mind you the dirt path is probably 2 feet wide at most and winding between trees, tree stumps, rocks, creeks, up hills/down hills, jumping tree logs..I mean totally submerged in the woods. And at times having to pass between 2 trees that weren't even 4 ft apart. My adrenaline was pumping, slightly scared but enjoying it.

At our first creek crossing, Deena and I decided to walk our bikes across, probably a smart move since it was rocky and up a steep hill afterwards. The next creek crossing was man made and concrete on the bottom--water was flowing, probably 6-8 deep in water. So we get up to it, and I'm like... "Dean, I got this one, I'm going to do it." And he's like "Ok, just pedal fast and get through it."

So I take off, I'm trying to gain some momentum and I'm splashing thruough when all of a sudden my back tire spins out with the current and I'm thrown to the ground. I could hear Deena yelling..."NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" as she watched my tire spin out and me fall into the water. I hit my head but luckily was wearing a helmet and didnt even feel it. But I landed pretty hard on my upper right thigh and scraped my knee pretty bad. I jumped up immediately so Deena and Dean wouldnt be panicked, soaking wet of course. Let's just say the 3-4 miles back to the car in soaking wet shoes and clothing on a bike is no fun...burrrr.

Oh so right after it happened this couple comes through busting through the woods on their bikes and I say to them "Hey, you might not want to go thru." ANd the guy was like "Whatever, I'm done this a 1000 times." Sure enough he and his partner made it through no problem. PUNKS. After they crossed I yelled, "Yea, thanks for making me feel bad!" As I stood there dripping wet like a BIG fool.

Next time, I'm making it across that dumb river!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool trail if anyone is interested though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Thank goodness you are ok. Clearly,your dip in the creek was not as much fun as the hottub at Troy Street.

Anonymous said...

Um, I am having backflashes to the river that Deen ALSO made us cross when we went camping! Sorry Kera - funny story though!

Erin