Thursday, February 7, 2008

Destination Showcase, aka: WORK

Today was the Destination Showcase at the Washington Convention Center. This annual event is an opportunity for meeting planners to meet with Convention & Vistor Bureaus (CVBs)from every city, state and a few select countries and to begin plans for their annual conventions or large events. I was basically along for the ride since I don't handle the meetings per se, but I do deal with the convention centers in regard to expositions. Cool event.

We got to meet with our reps at the Nashville CVB ahead of our meeting next week in Nashville. Looks like we may get dealt a nice hand of cards...the Country Music Awards will be occuring in Nashville the same time as our annual convention there and the Nashville Convention Center has asked us to give up some of our exposition space to accomodate an event for the CMA's. It would require a LOT of refiguring of space on my end BUT for Tim McGraw, I may just do it ;) They said they'd see what they could work for us...now we are in the money!

The day was also cool in that I got to meet MR. FROMMER (as in Frommers Travel Guides) and his daughter, they signed a book for me and Pauline (the daughter) asked for my biz card to contact me about some ideas they had. There are a MILLION campground directories sooo hopefully her idea is a unique one. And lastly the keynote address was Stan Kasten, President of the Nationals. His speech was a good one but predominantly a sales pitch for using the stadium as venue. The other great thing is all the networking and people you get to meet. Plus, I ran into my 2 old managers from USA Today, it was great catching up with them.

No comments: