Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nashville, the friendliest city!

Despite a three hour delayed flight down and a three hour delayed flight home, my work trip to Nashville was a) successful and b) tons of fun. Arriving a bit later than expected on Thursday afternoon, Micki and I were able to check into the hotel, grab a quick lunch with our hotel contact and I was able to make it over to the Gaylord Opryland convention center to catch the last hour of the American Camping Association's annual tradeshow. Similar tradeshow to ours and lots of my exhibitors were there, which was great to see them mid-year. The Opryland Hotel is crazy, it's huge and the amount of flora and fauna in the arboretum area was impressive. I am glad though that our convention is downtown bc the Opryland is way out of town. The Renaissance is a block and a half away from Commerce Street, where all the live country music bars litter this famous Nashville strip. And btw, the proximity to Commerce Street may cause some tough early mornings come November for staff and attendees ;)

Thrusday night, I decided to venture out alone to Commerce Street to check out all the buzz. I made my way into one of the bars, grabbed a seat at the bar and ordered a Blue Moon. Seriously, everyone in Nashville is just so friendly. I think I've forgotten how much I miss the south, the drinks are cheap and everyone is just out to have fun. I ended up meeting a couple from Louisville and before long we had everyone on the dance floor.

Friday, we spent most of the day doing the site visit and pre-con meeting with the Convention Center and hotel. Everything went smoothly and with the contacts we have, I am positive that the convention will be a breeze. Later that evening, Micki and I grabbed dinner at Big River Brewing Company and made out way into the bar, Legends. We were fortunate to get 2 seats at the bar bc the place was starting to get packed. Our seats were perfect for watching all the fools on the dance floor...it's amazing what alcohol makes people do. Micki was dying laughing at the lack of rhythm these poor older white folks weren't afraid to show off. I said to her, "Isnt this place just awesome, you've got all kinds of people in here." And then I paused and said, "well, actually you have one kind of people in here but all kinds of ages...bc you're probably the only black person and I think I'm representing the olive skinned folk." Anywho, we had ourselves a blast. Again, we ended up meeting a couple who we spent most of the evening chatting up and dancing with...and buying rounds for each other. We decided it was time to go when the husband started smacking Micki's butt and grabbing my a**. Micki goes, "Ok then, think it's time to go Kera." I couldn't agree more! But all in all, a very funny night.

PS: I bought myself some cowboy boots!!

No comments: