Sunday, March 30, 2008

GOAL: National Marathon: Mission Accomplished





Tina and I did it! We completed the DC National Marathon on Sat. March 29th. Our time wasn't as great as I had hoped for but considering my recovering/ongoing knee injury, I'm quite happy. We finished at 4hours:39minutes, basically an avg 10:41min mile AND there was NO STOPPING NOR WALKING--we ran the entire time. I can't thank Tina enough bc she was my savior throughout the whole training and on actual race day. Couldn't have done it without her, seriously. She was good motivation, my guiding light.

Saturday turned out to be a perfect weather day despite some gusty winds along the waterfront in DC. We got down to RFK, where the race began, shortly before 7am, hit the porta-potties and jumped in the mix of runners. We were fortunate to have some of our coolest friends and family out along the way cheering us on. Thanks to my dad, Jacks & Todd, Erin & Jen, Tina's mom, my mom, Chris, Aunt Joy & Lenna. And of course, my sissy, Deeners. At mile 22, I saw Deena running towards me and I was excited...it was great to have her finish the last 4 miles with us and push me to finish. I needed it. Those punks had us running hills in frickin' SE Anacostia those last couple of miles and I was dying, or at least my knee was. But when we got to mile 25 and I realized I only had 1 more mile to go, I knew heaven was in sight and I was happy.

Looking back it was a great experience. I'd do it again. Sure, it was painful at times but the overall sense of accomplishment and the periodic thrills you experienced while running make it all worthwhile.

Thanks again to TINA!!!

5 comments:

Sara said...

CONGRATULATIONS KERARRRRRRRR (and Tina)!! That is a great accomplishment and I'm sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you along the course!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am sure seeing me with my yummy Starbucks was great motivation! - Jack D

Anonymous said...

Again - please don't say thanks. I mean yeah it was 730 on a Saturday...having less than 4 hours of sleep but how could I not cheer you all on when all I had to do was roll out my front door as you ran by! Congratulations again - you are amzing. You inspire me...my 9 mile run yesterday training for my race next week was nothing cause all I kept thinking was Kera and Tina just did like 20 more...hahahaha. You go! E LEE

Bordenia! said...

CONGRATS! I am so proud (and jealous) of you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GIRLS ROCK! I hope your feet are doing ok :)

JRay said...

You go girl!